20100527

Roadtripping

Merc and I used to make many road trips together. We never had any Particular Place To Go. He usually drove, me looking for photo Ops and him seeing symbolism in every grain of sand. Much water has passed over the iron beach since those days, yet there is a collective memory in each of our workings secreted away against tide and time. Merc always said don't hide your bushel and Dali said Life's too short to go unnoticed, so I've been reshooting/resurrecting notebook doodles in an effort to create some continuity of process in these quietish days.

Since I was a nipper I've always been on the road. I lay no claim to being either world weary or a road warrior. I'd like to kid myself and say I was both but if I'm honest, I am nothing more than a tourist. Just passing through, here or overseas.


Ok, as part of my work I do get to indulge in some pretty long-winded postcards home, but hopefully they are true reflection of a place.

Sometimes said notes get filed in the journals to be Dada'd by endless layers of ephemera and idle scribbles that I paste in, in moments of reflection, doubt and projection.
And sometimes great imagery gets defiled and derailed by endless experimentation and the only tenuous link I can make between this picture and what I just wrote, is that it is a shot of a steamroller nose, that built a new section of the North Western Motorway in Auckland, a stretch of bitumen that has launched all number of travels.

©burgseye 10

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's those tenuous links that you were put here on this good Earth for to show us brah.
Thanks for the mention, those trips, and when we sometimes hooked up as 4...well I still find it hard to look at the pics 'cause, you know, they were the best of times and all.

Burg said...

i can only imagine, D's smile transcends. That and the way she said "Burgeeeee..." A smile that confirmed that everything at that particular moment was alright.
"Thats alright Momma almost anyway you do..." E P (the one with the quiff.)

Unknown said...

It is said that song when sung by EP at Sun Studios kicked off rock and roll...and yeah when D said everything alright, everything alright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFBPzMPSLr8&mt=22