20100525

the roadrunners - lsd

while doing a quick bit of research for mr mal macca sporran, I came across this wonderful version of the pretty things tune LSD by a Lower Hutt posse called The Roadrunners on the mysterex blog. This version just thrashes the bejeebers out of the original. Hard arse punked guitars, 1966 fuzz the Cramps would be proud of.
Anyway I send the link through to Malheureuse and this is his inimitable response: I knew Chaz Burke-Kennedy(guitar/vocals on the roadrunners cut of lsd)when he was Blerta's lead guitarist...in fact, on the occasion that keyboard/sitar playing legendary casualty, Chris Seresin lost his mind, he and Chaz had arrived at my Coromandel house,tripping. It was 1973. They left for our commune at Colville, crashed the car, Chris flipped...and never came back. He has been a dero around Wellington ever since. And I remember the uproar when the Pretty Things toured NZ in 1965. Drummer Viv Prince was sufficiently out of it at departure time for the TEAL Electra pilot to have him arrested and taken from the plane. The good burghers of Napier - where I was at school - and other provincial outposts, were outraged. We loved it. I didn't go to Wellington for the concert but my mate, Colin Lum,did (later to die of an od in an Auckland motel,1974. A doctor and one of those bright young ones I referred to...in 1969 he won a scholarship to do his post grad thesis at Stanford on...wait for it...LSD. We all took our first trips that year with Owsley acid he sent back). Memories...mammaries. And I bought Chris's sitar for him in Calcutta in 1970 while undertaking phase 2 of the great ginseng scam...talk about the endless highway...

No comments: